1.5.09

Documentary Photography: Hunter High School Football

In 2003 the Hunter High School football team won the State championship, and I was there, at all of the home games, armed with 2 cameras and a lot of black and white film, to document the things that happened on the way there. My purpose in beginning the project was to fulfill the requirements of a college Documentary Photography class in which I was required to photograph a single subject for the entire semester. The minimum requirement was 4 rolls of film shot throughout the semester. I ended up doing much, much more as I was drawn into the madness of the scene. Now I present this small selection, culled from hundreds upon hundreds of images, for the first time in shiny digital format, for your viewing pleasure. I consider it some of the best work I have done, and I hope it shows a glimpse of the wild, crazy energy of being there at that moment in time.






































5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey can u plz plz plz post your whole collection somwhere
im currently a football player at hunter high school and i am surprised at the lack of representation our great school has on the net ex: maxpreps.com
just lokking at these photos almost put me to tears oh the glory of those days the faces the emotion remind so me so much of our team today
My email is tahir_bilal_13@yahoo.com
PS it would be great if u also posted the once you have that r in color thanks

Brandon Wilde said...

Unfortunately, I shot the entire project with black and white film, so there are no color ones. Also, I'm afraid it would be far too time consuming to scan all of the pictures, as there were well over500 of them. However, these are the best ones, and I am glad you enjoy them. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting these pictures. I played for Hunter High School that year. I'm #49 the Fullback. Its always good to look back and take in all the feelings that these pictures express! Thank you for blessing me with the memories! LONG LIVE WEST SIDE PRIDE!!! HUNTER HIGH PRODUCT!!!

Brandon Wilde said...

Thanks. I'm glad you were able to stumble upon them here, and like them. I wish more of the players from that year could see these.

Anonymous said...

Really nice series! I'm doing a 3month documentary about a football team in my town and these pictures have been a great inspiration for the project!